I’ve had this recipe for Beef Noodle Casserole for 40 years! My mother clipped it out of a newspaper and made it, and I’ve held onto it all this time, it was just that good. It’s pretty simple to make. Over time I have added the crushed red pepper flakes to add a touch of heat to the sauce. It’s one of those recipes that will become a favorite comfort food.
Beef Noodle Casserole
- 1 pound 75-80% lean ground beef
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- ⅛-¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- ½ pound mushrooms (button, crimini or porcini) sliced, with stems removed
- 16 ounces tomato sauce
- 7-8 ounce package of flat or flat-ish pasta such as farfalle (bowtie), egg noodles, lasagne noodles cooked and sliced, etc
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 bunch scallions (green onions) sliced, including the green tops
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened to room temp
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Cook the beef in the butter in a large skillet until well-crumbled and no longer pink.
- Add all the ingredients up to and including the tomato sauce and cook on low heat for 20 minutes. At the same time, cook the noodles and drain.
- In a small skillet, saute the sliced onions in the butter for about four minutes, then remove from heat. Allow them to cool briefly. In a bowl, combine them with the cream cheese and sour cream, mixing well.
- Grease a 2-quart casserole and alternate layers of noodles, cheese mixture and meat sauce, until all the ingredients are used up.
- Sprinkle the top with the grated parmesan and bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly. All it to cool for about minutes, then serve.